Behavior Based Segmentation
With WalkMe Behavior Based Segmentation, you can leverage all of your WalkMe analytics data to accurately target your WalkMe content to users and display the right content at the right time.
WalkMe Behavior Based Segmentation allows you to use all the data that WalkMe collects and then define a group of users with certain characteristics, users that performed certain actions or users that have certain attributes, and use it as a segment when building your content.
With this new feature you can easily create a Behavior Based Segment in Insights and use it in the Rule Engine in the Editor.
- Remind users who have not completed their onboarding tasks in the last 30 days to complete onboarding
- Play Smart Walk-Thru guidance to users who have attempted to use a feature but did not complete the entire process
- Show a ShoutOut only to users who have not used a new feature yet
- Play WalkMe content only to new employees or those within a certain department
Behavior Based Segments
- A group of users that match the set of rules that define the Segment, in the chosen date range.
- Note: Date range is part of the Segment definition.
- Example: Users who clicked on ShoutOut A in the last week. This Segment is defined in Insights and later can be used in the Rule Engine in the Editor. See “Use a Segment” below.
- Learn more about the Rule Engine.
- Segments are defined and managed in the Editor.
- Once defined, Behavior Based Segments are available as a rule type in the Rule Engine in the Editor.
- Learn more about Segmentation.
Segment Run / Calculation
- Behavior Based Segments are calculated every day at 2:00 AM UTC during an offline “Run” that determines the group of users that match the Segment definition.
- From the moment the process has completed the Segment will not be updated until the next job run.
- Segments are limited to 10,000 users – The Segment calculation might fail if the Segment surpasses that.
- Note: Since the Insights Users page shows real time data and Behavior Based Segments are calculated once a day, there may be differences between the Segment size and a similar list of users in the Users page.
Behavior Based Segmentation Management
- The Behavior Based Segmentation page in Insights allows viewing the current status of all existing Segments and creating a new one.
- Note: Only 5 Segments are allowed per System.
How It Works
How to Create a Segment
- Navigate to the “Behavior Based Segmentation” page on insights.walkme.com
- Click the “+ Create Segment” button
- You will see the following screen:
- General Settings
- Give your Segment a name and choose the date range that will be used for Segment calculation
- Show Results
- You can view the initial Segment results in real time by clicking the “Show Results” button
- In the upper right corner you will find several options to sort your results:
- “By Users” / “By Accounts” toggles
- Search bar
- Filter dropdown
- Export button
- Use the “Load more” button to load more results
- “Show Results” vs Completed Behavior Based Segment –
- Show results checks who are the users that match the Segment definition in real time, at the moment of clicking on “Show Results”, while the Segment as it will be available in the Editor is calculated by an offline job, daily, therefore you should expect difference between the real time and the offline Segment size / User list.
- Cancel, Save Segment
- Once the Segment is saved, click on the link to navigate to the Editor and start using the Segment within the segmentation engine.
- General Settings
- Once you save the Segment you will be able to see it on the main Behavior Based Segmentation page:
- Name – Segment name as defined during initial creation.
- Number of Users – Shows the number of users that matched the Segment definition at the moment of the last successful run.
- Note – This number is not real time.
- Last successful run – Shows when the Segment was last successfully calculated.
- Pending first run – meaning that there was not a Segment calculation run since the Segment was created
- Success – indicates that Segment run was successful
- Failed – indicates that Segment run failed
- Date Created – Shows the date the Segment was created
- Duplicate – Duplicate an existing Segment and make changes to quickly create a new Segment
- Delete – Deletion of the Segment is possible only if it is not being used in the Rule Engine
- Edit – Since a Segment may be in use in the Rule Engine, editing an existing Segment is not allowed. If you need to adjust the segment definition, a new Segment should be created.
Using a Segment in the Rule Engine
Once you have successfully created your Behavior Based Segmentation, you are ready to use it in the Rule Engine.
- Open The editor’s segmentation engine and add a rule
- Choose ‘Behavior Based Segmentation’ rule type
- Choose your “Behavior Based Segment”
- Chose operator – True / False.
- Now you can use this rule in a combination with any other Segmentation rule in the Rule Engine
- You can use this segment with any of the WalkMe content in your Account
Segment’s Attributes in Insights
- User Attributes – Once a Segment is created, it will be available for viewing and filtering in Insights.
- To view whether the user belongs / does not belong to the Segment, open the “Users & Accounts” page, click on the column picker and add your Segment to the users table.
- Now you can see whether each user belongs / does not belong to the Segment, at the moment of last Segment calculation.
- Filtering by the “Segment” attribute is not supported – The attribute will not be displayed in the “USER” filter category.
- The number of Segments is limited to 5 per system
- Segment size is limited to 10,000 users
- This feature is only available on Production environment
- Behavior Based Segments are based on Production environment data, and are not compatible with Test environments
- The Segment definition will be calculated during an offline process every day at 7:00 PM UTC
- Once the process has completed the Segment will not be updated again until the next day
- No history is available for Segments data
- Mobile Web is not supported
- Mobile web users will not be returned as part of the Segment calculation
- The Segments user list will not display mobile web users
- Filtering by the “Segment” attribute is not supported
- The attribute will not be displayed in the “USER” filter category
- There may be cases where users will match a certain segment definition as well as the opposite definition (for example, users who interacted with SWT X and users who did not interact with SWT X), this is due to Insights supporting only session scope filters