Salesforce Data Integration
Create more personalized experiences for your customers by incorporating Salesforce data into WalkMe’s Digital Adoption Platform.
Using the Outgoing Integrations in Insights Data Integration Center, data from WalkMe Insights is accessible in Salesforce and can be used in workflows, reports, and activities. This data is synced every 24 hours at 9:00 am UTC.
How does it work?
Using the Salesforce integration, you can push WalkMe Insights data into Salesforce objects to enhance your understanding of end-user behavior.
During the setup process, you’ll choose the Salesforce object to push the data into and which data you want to be pushed into Salesforce according to an Insights custom report.
If a match is found between the custom report’s unique identifier (usually email or GUI) and the Salesforce object’s unique identifier (usually email), then you can push the data found in the insights report to this object.
- You can sync any Salesforce object
- You can sync to both Salesforce environments: Sandbox and Production
We use the Salesforce OAuth 2.0 authorization method to obtain a token (that we store) for the end-user. This access can be revoked at any time by the Salesforce Admin or within the system by disconnecting the account.
- You must be a Salesforce admin or contact your Salesforce admin in order to add custom fields to your targeted Salesforce object(s)
- You must have a Salesforce user that either has Salesforce admin access or ModifyAllData permissions to grant WalkMe access to OAuth 2.0 authorization to read and update the metadata of Salesforce objects (this access can be revoked by the Salesforce Admin at any time)
The Data Integration Center UI is in the Insights console under Integrations > WalkMe to Salesforce. From here, the integration wizard will walk you through the process of setting up an integration.
Preparing for Integration
Step 1: Identify the Pertinent Data
Determine which WalkMe Insights data must be pushed to Salesforce in order to achieve your chosen goal(s). The data must be found in a report in a specific structure:
- Each row on the report should stand for a specific record of the object you want to integrate to (for example – each row could be of an end user).
- Each column of the report should stand for a specific field on Salesforce you want to push the data to.
- There should be 1 column in the report that holds the mapping key for your record on Salesforce. For example, if the way you will identify your target object record on Salesforce is an email, then this email should be a column on the report.
We recommend exporting or downloading the report from Insights Reports Page before setting up the integration.
We have the following common reports available for all customers: https://support.walkme.com/knowledge-base/insights-list-of-common-reports/
If you need additional reports, please contact your WalkMe representative.
Step 2: In Salesforce, Add Custom Fields to the Salesforce Object
This can only be done by your Salesforce Admin.
Note: We highly recommend using the prefix WalkMe_ to preface each of the Salesforce custom fields.
Step 1: Select your Integration
In the Insights console (https://insights2.walkme.com/), click on Outgoing Scheduled Integrations- “WalkMe to Salesforce” under the Integrations header in the left sidebar.
Step 2: Connect the Environment
Connect your first Salesforce environment:
Click the ADD ACCOUNT button next to the environment in which you wish to connect.
You will be transferred to the Salesforce authentication screen, where you will give WalkMe permission to push data to this account using the OAuth 2.0 authorization process.
Note: Make sure to log in with a Salesforce user that is a Salesforce Admin or has ModifyAllData permissions. Otherwise, WalkMe will not be granted permission to push data to Salesforce.
Once you insert the email & password of your account, you’ll be redirected back to the Salesforce integration section of the Insights console.
Step 3: Create the Integration
Start your first integration:
Click the CREATE NEW INTEGRATION button to start the integration wizard.
Note: if you wish to add another account, (e.g, to also connect your Sandbox or Production environment), click the ACCOUNTS button at the top-right of the screen.
Step 4: Select an Environment in Integration Wizard
Here you will choose between the different Salesforce environments connected to WalkMe and be able to choose from which WalkMe environment the report will be extracted from.
You can view the Salesforce account details and can choose between Sandbox and Production (if both are connected).
Note: You may select only from among the connected environments (if only one environment is connected, only that one will appear).
Step 5: Select the Insights Report & the Matching Salesforce Object in Integration Wizard
Here you will choose an Insights report and select the Salesforce object with which it should be synced.
- Choose Insights Report column: you will see a dropdown list containing your available Insights reports
- Choose target Salesforce object column: you will see a dropdown containing the available Salesforce objects pulled from Salesforce (per the environment accessing the Salesforce metadata)
- Once you selected items from both dropdown menus, select the unique identifiers (keys) of each report and match them up with a Salesforce object identifier (usually email or GUI)
- Note: Each Salesforce identifier may only be matched with one unique report Identifier per integration
- Insight report unique identifier column: this is the report’s key to match to a Salesforce object
- Salesforce object unique identifier column: this is the field of the Salesforce object with which to match the report key
- Click the Continue button in order to proceed
- Click the Back button if you wish to return to screen 1
Step 6: Map Fields to Update in Integration Wizard
Here you will decide what data will be updated in Salesforce.
This mapping provides the end-user with a UI showing what data from the source report is updated in the Salesforce object:
- The Insights report column consists of all the fields found in the report, including the key field selected on screen 2
- The Salesforce object column consists of all the fields of the selected object that:
- Are not already in use in screen 2
- Correspond to the keys selected on screen 2
- You can click ADD COLUMN to add another mapping of fields to objects
- When hovering over a row, you can click the X button to delete that row
- Upon completing one or more mapping rows, the SAVE button is enabled
- Click the Back button if you wish to return to the screen 2
Step 7: Execute your integration
Hover over the integration you just created and click the three dots on the right:
A menu will open. Click the Run Now button.
This will execute the integration and will attempt to push any relevant data to the assigned account. If executed properly, both the log and grid will indicate the integration completed successfully.
Editing an Existing Integration
When you hover over a specific integration in the Insights console, the Edit button appears.
When the Edit button is clicked, the integration wizard opens, allowing you to edit the integration. The wizard will open to screen 3 to allow you to easily edit the mapping.
You can navigate backward and forward between the screens using the headers and buttons.
Whenever a sync occurs, a log is produced. The log can be found by clicking on the three dots next to the pencil icon that appears when you hover over an integration in Insights’ Integrations section:
- When you click Log, an overlay window appears and you can view the history of the data pushes made from WalkMe to Salesforce
- The log contains the report name, the Salesforce object of the integration, and the following information:
- Start date:The dateTime of the run in UTC hours
- Runtime: The run’s duration (End Time minus Start Time)
- Status: the run’s status: Completed or Failed
You can perform these actions:
- Show log link: On hover, you can view the original log with all details by clicking the Show log link
- Click the X button to close the overlay window
Use Cases and Examples
- Keep track of end-user onboarding
- End-users who fail to complete onboarding or fall behind in training usually adopt software more slowly and use it less effectively. Using the Data Integration Center, valuable onboarding insights will be shown directly in the CRM, triggering weekly discussions to share best practices and streamline the onboarding experience
- Provide contextually intelligent survey reactions
- Identify end-users who respond favorably to NPS surveys and are likely to recommend the product. Identify end-users who respond negatively to timely customer-service intervention, or have Gainsight automatically send an email inviting them to share their experiences
- Preventing churn / Likely to convert leads
- Customer retention is the main success determinant of Customer Success (CS) teams. WalkMe’s Insights monitors usage indicators signs (e.g., no software used in 30+ days, session duration average, failure to complete onboarding, etc.), and automatically trigger alerts pointing out likely-to-churn end-users. Using the Data Integration Center, CS managers can now see these WalkMe alerts and data-points directly in the integrated platform, giving them a better chance to save an at-risk account
- Use data for intelligent upselling
- Highly engaged end-users enjoying significant value from a software often signal upselling opportunities. The Data Integration Center can tell customers’ CS teams when end-users frequently use features subject to usage-caps or with available upgrades. CS teams can also see if end-users have been reading about upgrade plans on the customer’s website. Using this data, CS can generate reports highlighting users who the customer’s Sales team should contact to drive upsell opportunities