Updated on July 29, 2019 Download as PDF
There are two types of ShoutOuts, and each has different best practices:
- Mission Critical
- Additional Info (‘Chilled Out ShoutOut’)
Mixing these two types is usually not recommended. Try to make these contextual: Place them on the page where their appearance is meaningful and relevant.
Mission Critical ShoutOut Best Practices
- Spotlight toggled On (the default setting for ShoutOuts);
- Clicking around the ShoutOut is disabled for the end-user;
- Use promotional/native text that will convey the message;
- Keep in mind this ShoutOut type resembles an advertisement, which users tend to close;
- Don’t just pop these up; instead, show the invitation upon loading a new page.
Additional Info ShoutOut Best Practices
- Spotlight toggled Off;
- User is able to click around and continue tasks;
- Locate the ShoutOut so as to avoid interfering with the user’s flow;
- Use smaller indicators than with Mission Critical ShoutOuts;
- Use a simple, straight forward message;
- Let the user explore the page for a few seconds before launching the message.