ShoutOuts are custom balloons designed to draw your user’s attention to the featured text. ShoutOuts can be built with an action button that will launch another WalkMe item; with just one click the user can start a Walk-Thru, play a video or access an article through a Resource, activate a Shuttle to another page, or open the Player Menu.
When planning your WalkMe solutions, consider how you would like to communicate information to your users. Instead of relying on your user to seek out information that they might not even know exists, ShoutOuts automatically appear and guarantee users see your message. Add an action button to the ShoutOut that provides additional guidance with a Walk-Thru, important information with a Resource, or link to a relevant site.
- Announce site changes;
- Inform users of upcoming site maintenance or downtime;
- Remind trial users of time remaining in free trial account;
- Direct users to the support portal;
- Prompt employees to complete assigned online tasks;
- Promote new features, promotional events, or premium services.
For example, create ShoutOuts for free trial account users that reminds them of the remaining number of days in their trial with an action button that activates a Shuttle to bring them to the upgrade page. Include dynamic text for a more engaging ShoutOut.
How it Works
Unlike step balloons, ShoutOuts are not attached to an element on the page, rather they will appear in a fixed place in the center or around the perimeter of the page. A ShoutOut can be played via a Launcher, Permalink, or Auto Play.
To enable Auto Play, create a rule in the Rule Engine to determine when the ShoutOut will activate. WalkMe will constantly check for the conditions identified in the rule and Segmentation Center and once true, the Shout will automatically play without any active prompt from a user action. All the standard Rules can be used to determine under which conditions Auto Play will activate (i.e. URL, On Screen Element, jQuery, etc).
In addition to Auto Play rules to determine when the ShoutOut should play, set frequency options to determine how often the item should play. The engagement frequency options include: Once, Once a Day, and Always.
Create a ShoutOut
- Open the ShoutOut App in the WalkMe Editor;
- Click the “+” icon to create a ShoutOut (by default) or select a Classic ShoutOut from the drop-down menu.
- Write a name for the ShoutOut and click Continue;
- At this point, the advanced WalkMe Templates Gallery will open automatically, presenting you with a range of options for your ShoutOut’s design.
- Select your chosen template and use it as is! or customize it using the Visual Editor by adding different elements by drag and drop into the ShoutOut canvas.
Customizing ShoutOuts with the Visual Editor
Create beautiful designs without CSS using the Visual Editor (What you see is what you get) giving you and your builders easy control when creating and designing Shoutouts, with capabilities like:
- Drag and drop
- Add buttons, paragraphs, shapes, images
- Manage canvas layers
- Change alignment
- Rich text editing
- Dynamic text
Below are further details about the options available to further customize your ShoutOut using the different Visual Editor tabs:
Select Screen resolution, Zoom level and Undo / Redo for any editing action (also supported by Keyboard shortcuts)
Add and Delete Objects
To add new items to your ShoutOut, Click the ADD NEW OBJECT Plus Icon and drag an object into the desired location. Once in place, you can edit the shape, contents, and location and more. Selecting an object in the objects tree will select and indicate that object within the ShoutOut.
To delete an object from your ShoutOut, simply click on the object in the objects menu, and click on the trash can icon:
Alternatively, select your object directly from within the ShoutOut preview display and click on the side menu:
When selecting a specific object within your ShoutOut, (text box, image, etc) the FORMAT tab provides you with a range of formatting options, specific to that selected object. Including the following capabilities and more:
- Changing the ShoutOut Canvas color, opacity, and corner radius.
- Adding a border to the ShoutOut and adjusting the width or the border.
- Text direction (left to right by default)
- Change font style, size, color, and height.
- Formatting text to bold, italic or underlined.
- Adjust the alignment of text from the center, left or right.
Show or hide a close button on your ShoutOut:
Here you can decide to have a screen overlay behind your ShouOut, and you can set the Color and Opacity of your Screen Overlay.
Size & Position
Select where ShoutOut appears on the screen by choosing its position on the screen, either manually or automatic (default setting).
Adjust the size of your ShouOut with width and height properties.
Adjust the ShoutOut settings by clicking on the cog icon:
In the Engagement tab, determine how the ShoutOut will play:
- Off: ShoutOut can be played via Permalink or Launcher;
- AutoPlay: ShoutOut automatically displays on pages that have WalkMe installed;
- Play according to a rule: Use the Rule Engine to determine when a ShoutOut automatically plays. The ShoutOut will display when the rule is true;
- Replay settings: Select how frequently ShoutOut appears. Choose between Once, Once a Day, Always;
- Cancel Auto Play: Select which user action will cause the ShoutOut to stop showing the ShoutOut;
- Launchers: Use a Launcher to play a ShoutOut;
- Permalink: Create a link to load a webpage and play a ShoutOut.
In the Appearance tab, you can arrange the layer order (Z-order) of your ShouOut on the screen, making sure that your ShoutOut appears correctly, and is not hidden behind other elements.
Select the timing properties of your ShouOut, if you would like to add a delayed appearance.
Create Goals related to your KPIs to measure the efficacy of a ShoutOut. Just like Walk-Thrus, ShoutOuts have Main Goals and Milestones Goals. The goals will begin to be checked as soon as the ShoutOut has been played and will continue to track for two hours after.
For example, a ShoutOut that announces remaining days in a trial account with an action button to the upgrade page could have a goal that measures how many users actually upgrade as a Main Goal and visits to the upgrade page as a Milestone. Even if someone does not immediately upgrade upon seeing the ShoutOut, if they decide to upgrade within the next two hours you will be able to track completion.
ShoutOuts in Insights
Track ShoutOuts in Insights. From the ShoutOut dashboard, view how many times each ShoutOut has played, how many times the Action button has been clicked, and how many goals completed.