ShoutOuts are custom balloons designed to draw your user’s attention to featured text. ShoutOuts can be built with an action button that will launch another WalkMe item; with just one click the user can start a Walk-Thru, play a video or article Resource, activate a Shuttle to another page, or open the Player Menu.
When planning your WalkMe solutions, consider how you would like to communicate information to your users. Instead of relying on your user to seek out information which they might not even know exists, ShoutOuts automatically appear and guarantee users see your message. Add an action button to the ShoutOut that provides additional guidance with a Walk-Thru, important information with a Resource, or link to a relevant site.
ShoutOut use cases include the following:
- Announce site changes;
- Inform users of upcoming site maintenance or downtime;
- Remind trial users of time remaining in free trial account;
- Direct users to the support portal;
- Prompt employees to complete assigned online tasks;
- Promote new features, promotional events, or premium services.
For example, create ShoutOuts for free trial account users that reminds them of the remaining number of days in their trial with an action button that activates a Shuttle to bring them to the upgrade page.
How It Works
Unlike step balloons, ShoutOuts are not attached to an element on the page, rather they will appear in a fixed place in the center or around the perimeter of the page. A ShoutOut can be played via a Launcher, Permalink, or Auto Play.
To enable Auto Play, create a rule in the Rule Engine to determine when the ShoutOut will activate. WalkMe will constantly check for the conditions identified in the rule and Segmentation Center and once true, the Shout will automatically play without any active prompt from user action. All the standard Rules can be used to determine under which conditions Auto Play will activate (i.e. URL, On Screen Element, jQuery, etc).
In addition to Auto Play rules to determine when the ShoutOut should play, set frequency options to determine how often the item should play. The engagement frequency options include: Once, Once a Day, and Always.
Create A Shoutout
- Open the ShoutOut App in the WalkMe Editor;
- Click the “+” icon with the hover message “Create a new ShoutOut”;
- Write a name for the ShoutOut and click Continue;
- At this point, the WalkMe Templates Gallery will open, presenting you with a range of options for your ShoutOut’s design. Either select one of these options, or, if you’d prefer to design the ShoutOut from scratch, click the “X” icon in the upper right and design the ShoutOut manually.
Note that unlike creating a Walk-Thru or Launcher, WalkMe does not go into Capture Mode. This is because the ShoutOut will appear directly on the page; either in the center or any point around the periphery.
Similar to the Step Options Menu, the ShoutOut Options Menu includes Interaction, Engagement, Appearance, and Goals.
In the Interaction tab, set placement, style, design, text, and functionality.
- WYSIWYG: Further customize the balloon
- Change font style, color, alignment and size for the header and content of the balloon
- Add a hyperlink
- Add bullets in the content field
- Insert a Smart Walk-Thru in the content field
- Insert an image in the content field (using the URL)
- Insert a video from YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, or Flash in the content field (using the URL)
- Insert an iFrame to host content from another domain
- Add Dynamic Text
- Add BBCode
- Change Design: Select a designed ShoutOut style template
- Edit CSS: Customize the design or template to match your desired style
- Reset Design: Revert back to original Advanced Template with no modifications.
- Title: Main featured text
- Description: Additional text
- Colors: Edit style colors for Main color, Main Text, Background and Regular Text.This option will be disabled if an advanced template is selected.
- Action Button: Show or hide the Action button. Click on the button in the preview window to customize button text and select the action. Action button triggers an action when button is clicked:
- Play Walk-Thru
- Open Menu
- Play Resource
- Play Shuttle
- Close Button: Show or hide the Close button. Click on the button in the preview window to customize button text and select the action. Close button triggers an action when clicked:
- “Close” – Close the ShoutOut
- “Remind me next time” – Hide the ShoutOut and display again on page refresh
- “Remind me after one day” – Hides the ShoutOut until the next calendar day
- Position: Select where ShoutOut appears on the screen by choosing a position
- Enable Spotlight: Places a spotlight on the ShoutOut and a color overlay on the rest of the screen. Select color and opacity of the overlay
In the Engagement tab, determine how the ShoutOut will play:
- Off: ShoutOut can be played via Permalink or Launcher
- Auto Play: ShoutOut automatically displays on pages that have WalkMe installed
- Play according to rule: Use the Rule Engine to determine when a ShoutOut automatically plays. The ShoutOut will display when the rule is true
- Replay settings: Select how frequently ShoutOut appears. Choose between Once, Once a Day, Always
- Cancel Auto Play: Select which user action will cause the ShoutOut to stop showing the ShoutOut
- Launchers: Use a Launcher to play a ShoutOut
- Permalink: Create a link to load a webpage and play a ShoutOut
Create Goals related to your KPIs to measure the efficacy of a ShoutOut. Just like Walk-Thrus, ShoutOuts have Main Goals and Milestones Goals. The goals will begin to be checked as soon as the ShoutOut has been played and will continue to track for two hours after.
For example, a ShoutOut that announces remaining days in a trial account with an action button to the upgrade page could have a goal that measures how many users actually upgrade as a Main Goal and visits to the upgrade page as a Milestone. Even if someone does not immediately upgrade upon seeing the ShoutOut, if they decide to upgrade within the next two hours you will be able to track completion.
ShoutOuts In Analytics
Track ShoutOuts in Analytics. From the ShoutOut dashboard, view how many times each ShoutOut has played, how many times the Action button has been clicked, and how many goals completed.
Try it Out
Create a ShoutOut for an upcoming event or site change.
- Add an Action button to launch another WalkMe App
- Set up Dynamic Text to make the ShoutOut customizable
- Use the Rich Text Editor to add an image to the ShoutOut balloon
- Create Auto Play rules so the ShoutOut appears only in applicable conditions
- Create a Goal to track ShoutOut success beyond ShoutOut plays and button clicks in Analytics
- Learn more about other methods of engaging your users
- Learn more about Goals
- Learn about Dynamic Text to personalize ShoutOuts
- Learn more about Auto Play
- Read about WalkMe for Mobile Web