By default, WalkMe does not collect any data inserted into input fields. If you want to collect input fields for User Behavior and Session Playback Tracking mode, this can be configured from the Insights Environment Settings section.
How It Works
Steps for enabling the collection of input fields
To access your current settings, please follow these steps:
- Log into your account at insights.walkme.com;
- Go to the environment of your choice and click Environment Settings;
- In the Censorship & Privacy tab’s Collection Enablement section, toggle ON Collect all input fields values:
- Click SAVE SETTINGS and go to the Editor app to Publish your settings.
Censoring the inputs of specific elements
Once Collect all input fields data is toggled ON, all input field text will be collected. If there are specific elements in your website that might contain sensitive user information, please make sure to censor those in the element censorship section or by using “wm-hide” in the relevant elements.
Understanding password field censorship
WalkMe never collects keystroke data inside password fields (inputs of type = “password”) and there is no way to change this behavior.
Custom Element Attributes
The attribute selector is used to specifically define an element based on any of its HTML attributes. Which can later be used when defining a Tracked Event using CSS Selectors. In Insights, HTML attributes are used to define a Tracked Event. The HTML attributes which are collected by default are Class and Id. In case you would like to collect additional attributes, it should be first enabled in the “Collection Enablement Settings”
Steps to enable additional attributes collection:
- Go to the environment settings.
- Go to “collection enablement”.
- Go to “custom element attributes”.
- Add the HTML attribute you would like to collect, tags should be separated by a comma or space.
- After adding the desired attributes to the list, you need to Enter then click Save and Publish the Settings from the Editor account (blank publish).
- From now on the specified attributes will be collected.