This article explains how to build a WalkMe ActionBot.
A WalkMe ActionBot is a chat interface that end-users interact with to complete tasks and answer questions. You can place the ActionBot on any web application using a Launcher. ActionBots, created in the WalkMe Editor, determine what the user needs to complete, or their intent. Based on this information, an ActionBot can select the correct conversation, also created in the WalkMe Editor.
To learn more about what the WalkMe ActionBot is, visit our article What Is the WalkMe ActionBot?
Steps For Building a Bot
- Contact your CSM and ask him/her to enable the ActionBot in your Editor.
- Sign into your WalkMe Editor account.
- Click the WalkMe apps dropdown triangle and select the ActionBots app:
- In the ActionBot builder in the WalkMe Editor, click on Bots in the left sidebar:
- Click + ADD NEW BOT in the upper-right corner.
- On the New bot page, fill in the following mandatory fields:
- This is the private name (for identification purposes) that only you (and your fellow bot-builders) will see. The end-user will not see it.
- Greeting Messages:
- This is the first message your bot will deliver to the end-user to initiate an interaction.
- If you enter more than one greeting message, the bot will select one randomly in each interaction.
- Tip: The message should contain a call-to-action like “How can I help you today?” to encourage end-users to engage with the bot.
- Message When No Matched Conversations:
- This is the message your bot will deliver to the end-user when his/her response to the bot did not trigger any of the bot’s available conversations.
- If you enter more than one message, the bot will select one randomly in each interaction.
- Tip: This message should prompt the end-user to enter a new response.
- Assign Conversations:
- Click the Assign Conversations field and select all conversations you wish the bot to contain. The bot will try to match one of these conversations to the end-user’s responses.
- Tip: Make sure a conversation and its bot are published to the same environment to avoid the conversation failing to appear in the bot.
- Tip: If a bot only contains one conversation, the bot will skip the greeting message for efficiency’s sake and immediately begin the conversation with the end-user.
- Click the Set Conversations As Suggested field to select which conversations (if any) will appear under the “Suggestions:” header text in the chat dialogue box:
- You can set as many suggested conversations as you’d like, but only four suggestions will be visible to the end-user at a time. The end-user can either start typing to filter or scroll down to see the remaining suggestions.
- Decide whether to toggle Accept Suggested Conversations Only to on or leave it in the off position (default).
- If toggled on, the end-user will not be able to type responses to the bot, but will only be able to select from the suggestions you entered in step 6 above.
- Navigate to the Launchers section.
- Click the Assign Launchers field and either type the name of a Launcher or select a Launcher from the dropdown menu.
- Launchers are the bots’ triggers.
- Each Launcher may only be used to trigger one bot.
- Only Launchers with Action = None can be used as ActionBot Launchers.
- Tip: Segment your Launchers by audience to expose different bots to different end-users, depending on your use cases.
- Navigate to the Default Text And Messages section.
- Here you can view each of the bot’s default messages for various scenarios and alter or replace them.
- Adjust any of the default messages by click on the respective field, deleting the portion you wish to replace, and typing in the replacement text.
- Navigate to the Custom Style section.
- Here you can insert CSS to customize how the chat dialogue box looks.
- Insert CSS into the Custom Style field if you want to change the dialogue box style.
- Click the SAVE button to save your bot’s changes.
- You must click SAVE at least once prior to publishing the bot (making it live).
- Click PUBLISH to make your bot live to your end-users.
- The PUBLISH button validates that all mandatory fields are filled and a Launcher has been assigned.
- Once you click PUBLISH, a popup will appear in which you can see the current status of the bot, select the environment to which to publish the bot, and publish or unpublish the bot as desired:
- Click PUBLISH in the popup window.
- Publishing a bot should not affect your other previously published WalkMe items.
- A bot will only present published conversations that were published in the same environment as the bot.